The Final Plan The Final Plan

I like the melodic progression of this track. It just feels right. It's a decent jam, and the overall volume of everything feels about right, but it lacks real "oomph".

Past the intro the synths feel kind of busy in the upper mids. That washy noise sound doesn't help with this over populated feel. the slower section in the middle seems to lack really presence. The bass feels especially unpronounced.

Overall, I think the composition is alright. The sound choice and mixing need some work to really bring this track to it's full potential though.

SwaggyPig007 responds:

Yeah I knew I should've removed that washy sound. I admit the start part is kinda weird with those leads but my favourite is when the washy thing ends around 2:08. Your totally right about bass though, but tbh bass in Auxy is absolute crap*. Sadly, using very little or next to none isn't a workaround xD

*Well, its not great, but you can do some good things with it

Grindrail Grindrail

Something about the first pattern really piques my interest. In comparison with the rest of the song, everything else falls flat.

Your synths all feel pretty good. You've got a bunch of different/interesting elements throughout the track, but they never really "wow" me. I feel like you were trying to make up for the tracks simple melodic structure by adding in all the different instruments and elements you have going on here.

You took a break from the main pattern around 1:27, and at 2:02 ish, but neither the new piano pattern or the synth bit really felt like an exciting change. Even as the track builds to the final section, it feels a little too busy, and doesn't seem to grab me like the intro bit did.

I realize this sounds fairly negative, but I can't complain too much. Your track is certainly not bad, though I feel let down after the first 19 or so seconds. The feeling the intro gives me... With the piano stabs, the subtle change in the bass pattern (when it does the double stabs, on the third bar of each loop), the slow rise with the filter on the bass, the little drum fill thing before it loops. It's hard to explain.. but man, that's damn near flawless in my mind.

Overall I think your intro is a sweet hook, but the pattern gets over used. The track lacks noticeable variation, and seems to be a little lengthy for the amount of substance that's available. I can't complain about the mixing or mastering. The sounds themselves all feel good, and are relatively loud. This track was reasonably well made, but, other than the intro, failed to excite me. Keeps making music dude. If you can get me this excited off of a single loop, I'll gladly stick around for your other tracks.

SwaggyPig007 responds:

:) You bet I will!

Automation Automation

Wow, I don't really know what to say. You did an excellent job on this. I can't really come up with any faults. The melody work is pretty darn good, the overall progression keeps the song interesting, and that ominous bass is so interesting! (It never really comes into focus, it's kinda lurking behind the rest of the track. What exactly is it?)

The very first intro melody is my least favourite, something about it seems a little off, but the rest of the track completely overshadows that minor flaw. (I especially like the first lead square melody around 0:40)
Those panned chip things around 1:20 are also pretty cool. I like whatever sort of rhythm they have going there. Also, just following that section, I really like your use of the glissando slide/roll things things.

Overall, I'm quite impressed. Very well done.

Zechnition responds:

Thanks for your review! ♡ When I made the track I could sort of tell that the main melody was pretty good, great to know I was right. :D Also the "ominous bass" is a combination of a violin sample and an ~75% pulse wave synth, dipping in and out of the synth at times.

Again Again

This is an interesting ambient piece. It's less ambient than what I'd consider ambient, but it's certainly not bad.
Overall your progression is decent, it was a little tiring to me, but it's certainly not bad. Well done here.

I have to give a recommendation though, avoid using the FL default samples. The basic kick/clap are very distinct, and most people who use the software can easily tell if you put effort into selecting appropriate samples to fit the track. (It also gets slightly tiring to hear them all the time.)

Keep on making music man!

Reckless Reckless

This is pretty neat. I really like the grungey bass and it's riff. It loops perfectly, good job on that.
The higher guitar thing sounds weird to me, and the drums feel a little flat.

I'd suggest finding a slightly different patch for the higher guitar, and maybe bringing the drums into the mix a little more. I specifically think the snare needs to have more pop to it. (Fiddle with compression/volume to make it stand out a little more i think)

I don't think I've listened to a track of this style from you before. It's still a beat, as usual, but it has a different feel because of the instruments used. Really interesting stuff. keep it up man.

hektikmusic responds:

I'm gonna have to agree with you, especially the snare needing more pop. It's a genre that I rarely dabble in, probably for the best lol

The Waffle Song - Hanupo The Waffle Song - Hanupo

Overall this was pretty enjoyable. I like the light and happy feel, and that lead synth is pretty nice. However the track feels a little bit bland. I feel a few more elements could be thrown in to make things more interesting. Also, I think a more uptempo section would be fantastic in this.

I quite like what you have here, I just think it could be taken a smidge further. Well done.

Janji - Heroes Tonight (Zyzyx Remake) Janji - Heroes Tonight (Zyzyx Remake)

Overall, I found this pretty enjoyable, but I feel it could use a section with a little more energy. The progression of the track is nice, and all of the melodic content feels right. The clipping is SUPER annoying though. Either you have effects going on after your limiter (such as an EQ), or there's a plugin that's trimming the peaks at 0db. Keep up the good work.

Jovds - Pirate-ish Jovds - Pirate-ish

Overall this isnt bad, but there's a lot of things that feel like they need work.
Composition wise, I feel you did pretty well. The melody/progressions sound not only properly in key, but both are reasonably enjoyable.
The drums seem kinda weird. The kick feels like it's lacking something, and the snare feels completely off. (It might be labeled as a snare, but it certainly doesn't sound like one.)

jovds responds:

After uploading it, I felt the same about the keys
I don't know what is lacking in the kick
and the snare, the snare, I don't know I kinda like it the way it is.
But still, I'll make everything possible to improve future works
Thanks for the review

Geometric Coast Geometric Coast

This is an interesting piece. I like the fast paced intro pattern/after the transition part of it. I also, like the melody in the final section. The synths feel fairly simple, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. (As someone who isn't so good at "synthing", simple instruments get me by.)

The fade out in the into, and the chords you used (in both chord sections) feel weird. The track starts, goes for a few, then fades out. The fade doesn't work so well as a transition to the chord section i think. Also, the chords themselves don't seem quite right. They might all be in key, but I'm not sure they go well together. I found this especially so in the later section that uses the chord stabs. (1:52 ish)

Overall, this certainly isn't bad, but I think it could be better. Keep practicing/making music and I'm sure you'll make a 5/5 banger that tickles my fancy.

Zechnition responds:

Agreed =D

Hardball Hardball

I quite like what you have here. Nothing feels horribly wrong or misplaced. The drum samples are pretty nice. That snare and tom roll both have a pleasant feel to them. The synths aren't bad, just a little quiet.
Overall the track feels like it's lacking something, though I can't really say what. It just doesn't feel full(?). I can't complain about anything else, composition is decent, and it loops quite well without being overly tiring.
Very well done for having no idea what you're doing.

shadowlabs responds:

Thank you! I get what you mean about the synths being quiet, I spent ages getting the right sound for the chord stabs but I can't get them any louder without making them sound harsh, EQing seems to harm the actual synth sound, I wonder if some stereo widening effect would fatten them up and make them pop a bit more. As for it lacking something, I'm not sure either. With the arp in the background I don't know what else can go in there, maybe I'll fill the bass line out with some riffs. Thanks for your feedback!